Organizations are shifting their platforms to a Cloud Native format to address the rapidly evolving global technology marketplace demands. This is being driven by a need to offer a standardized and automated approach to their individual business application needs. However, with the multitude of different cloud offerings materializing, complexity inherently becomes a deployment and management nightmare. Developing and deploying applications in a Continuous Improvement / Continuous Development (CI/CD) model has many benefits, but introduces new risks and highlights existing ones too. Threats range from the ever-increasing frequency and severity of Ransomware attacks, insider or supply chain attacks, developer or code errors, to natural disasters such as earthquakes, climate change based events or data center downtime
Container based application deployment has matured over the last decade, fueled by the implementation of Docker Containers and management platforms that manage these at large scale, such as Kubernetes which was open sourced by Google in 2014.
Early containers were stateless, but not removed from the possibility of needing backups. Many of these deployments were interacting with Databases hosted in VM’s which, because of the data persistence requirements, could not utilize the benefits of a containerised approach. The Kubernetes answer to this was to offer a Container Storage Interface (CSI) which would allow Block or File storage providers such as Zadara to offer persistent storage volumes into containerized applications. Zadara was an early adopter for this interface being one of the first providers to support snapshots and clones of persistent storage volumes. Now stateless and stateful applications can reside fully within a kubernetes management layer and the storage snapshots could be used to perform an initial level of protection against certain types of failures.
However more is needed to provide the protection not just for the first day of operation but every day for the lifecycle of the application and its constituent components.
Just backing up the VM’s or the infrastructure that provides the Kubernetes cluster is not enough as there is no context awareness of the application and dependencies. Ask yourself some key business continuity questions:
- What happens in a disaster, how quickly can you deploy and recover the application or the cluster to continue business operations?
- What happens if you want to deploy the same capabilities and protect them in different environments?
- Where will that recovery happen – the same location, regionally dispersed, geographically dispersed?
- What if you cannot supply exactly the same hardware and software to build the infrastructure in a timely manner?
- What does the cost of downtime mean to your business?
- Do your current policies and procedures lock you in and remove freedom of choice?
- Who can help you solve your business challenges in protecting your modern applications?
- Would having a firm plan about container recovery that can reduce risks and save costs benefit you?
Business Continuity Planning is becoming harder to define, with multiple SaaS applications, multiple data locations, multiple cloud environments, and increasing threats to that data.
Together, Kasten by Veeam and Zadara help organizations of all shapes and sizes to protect and migrate their Cloud Native assets in this ever increasing hybrid world. This can be achieved by utilizing Kasten K10 Cloud Native data protection, combined with Zadara’s Edge Cloud platform capabilities.
Kasten by Veeam emphasize Data Recovery, Disaster Recovery and Data Freedom using migration, which enables organizational resiliency and keeps businesses running. Kasten Subscription or Service Provider licensing, combined with Zadara’s 100% OpEx services enable organizations to adapt to their changing needs; be that on premises, with a service provider or via a cloud provider without financial or technical lock-in. This is the powerful combination of Zadara for primary, secondary and cloud tier storage with the leader in Cloud Native data protection in Kasten by Veeam.
Leveraging Zadara Edge Cloud Services zCompute enables a complete end to end IaaS infrastructure to run the Kubernetes cluster as primary and secondary sites, while Kasten K10 provides all of the Backup, DR and migration capabilities for the container workloads. Using Veeam Data Platform V12 in conjunction with Kasten enables a complete VM and container protection capability with immutable Object Storage provided by Zadara guarding against Ransomware attacks
This is an exciting partnership for Kasten by Veeam, Zadara, and our joint partners as it brings a number of new alignments.
- Utilize Zadara IaaS to deploy Kubernetes clusters and Kasten for data protection
- Utilize Zadara Object Storage with Immutability and Kasten K10 to protect any Cloud Native Kubernetes environment
- Utilize Zadara Block and File VPSA Storage as a primary, secondary or recovery storage for Kubernetes using the Zadara CSI
- Utilize Kasten K10 to migrate from Hyperscaler Kubernetes Applications on-premises and back as business demands change
- Utilize Kasten by Veeam and Zadara Service Providers to provide Container Recovery Services
- Utilize Kasten and Zadara to protect DevOps environments from deployment errors or inside / malicious attacks
Zadara embraces an API first approach and this is consistent with a modern approach to application deployment. Kasten K10 integrates with the Kubernetes API’s and the S3 Protocol API’s to provide a scalable and automated capability, providing the benefits of a cloud native approach in any location.
Because Kasten K10 is agnostic to the hardware, this software defined capability allows K10 to provide portable recovery options, this allows Zadara zCompute Kubenetes Application instances backed up using Kasten K10 to backup directly to Object Storage and that can be recovered to another zCompute Kubernetes instance anywhere; thus allowing for disaster recovery options to be optimized.
In short, eliminate the complexity and inefficiencies of traditional data protection and recovery solutions. Zadara and Kasten by Veeam offer a scalable backup solution for Cloud Native workloads, with scale-up and scale-out capabilities, to minimize downtime and protect critical data.
To learn more, visit: https://www.zadara.com/kasten/